If you haven't been there already, you'll want to enter the park at the Reedy Creek entrance via Harrison Ave. and I-40. Follow the wide, gravel path northwest from the parking lot to get to the Company Mill trail head. Orange squares nailed to trees lead you along the Company Mill trail. (If you're counting meters, I start running from the parking lot, not necessarily from the trail head)
With moderate technical terrain and a few decent hills to keep your leg muscles in check, the Company Mill Trail provides a great workout. You can take on the path at an easy pace for a laid back, but steady, run. Or, speed things up a bit with hill surges thrown into the mix for a good bit of trail training.
The park map indicates that Company Mill measures 5.8 miles. Someone else's Garmin data shows that the trail measures 5.77 miles from the Reedy Creek entrance parking lot. So, both sources concur that the trail is a little under 6 miles.
My Favorite Features of the Company Mill Trail:
- At least 3 challenging hill climbs and descents
- Gorgeous, extended views of the creek
- Proximity to other trails within Umstead State Park for an extended run
- Convenient location relative to North West Raleigh and Cary
Features I Dislike:
- stairs built into the hill near the Reedy Creek Bridle Trail intersection